Tuesday 21 June 2011

A watched pot never boils

Seems like ages since the last update - in fact it has been about 5 days.

I promised myself that I would not go over to the garage this week (a 3 hour round trip) and wait until next Thursday. However I am wavering and I wouldn't at all be surprised to find myself zipping over instead of doing work.

I ordered the vinyl self adhesive bonnet licence plate today to cheer myself up. As the normal plate covers up about 75% of the radiator & air intakes on the front of the car I thought it was probably a sensible move (as well as looking good.)

I heard from the chap who is organising the Citroen Classic Challenge 2012 the other day and he wrote that the route is looking like it will actually be a real challenge. Really looking forward to putting the car through its paces but I'm a little concerned about space. My father and brother are joining me on the rally and my conservative estimate is that we weigh about 300kg between us. Then I read this web page (http://www.heroevents.eu/Events/HowtogoClassicCarRallying/) and looked at what I'll need to take.

Not all of it is essential but the weight thing is bothering me as it makes such a difference to the components of the car and the chances of a problem sky-rockets if we load it to the gunnels. I'm considering asking someone to run the Range Rover as a support car. The only down side is that I will end up paying for both and a conservative estimate of fuel, ferry crossings and lodgings for another 2 people will be in the region of £1500 + food and booze. Maybe it is a small price to pay for peace of mind though, I'll think about it...


I think the Rangey would look good kitted out in support crew decals though.

2 comments:

  1. If it helps you out, I'll drive the RR for you. I only require fuel of French cheese and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your herculean appetite for claret and camembert would prove costly...!

    ReplyDelete